Friday, November 11, 2011

occupying my mind.

Pues... the Occupy Wall Street movement has been on my mind lately. This is because:

1. I have a close family member heavily involved with it.
2. I work at the largest bank in the U.S.
3. It is all over the news and what-not.

(Sidenote: I mentioned the protests to a classmate the other day and she literally had no idea what I was talking about. I had to explain the entire thing to her. She still said it didn't ring a bell. Where has she been?) Anyway, I think about it and I honestly think the whole thing is silly. No offense. But I work at the big evil bank and I happen to know that they offer a butt-load of jobs. They are always hiring. And I, being barely qualified, got a job there over 2 years ago and have loved it. I mean I am not passionate about banking but it's a great job. Anyway, back to my point. I know that there are definitely greedy people and/or corporations in America. But what is protesting it going to do? We are lucky to live in a free country where people have the right to be greedy if they want. If they work hard, they can get lots of money and keep it all if they are so inclined. They shouldn't be greedy, but who are we to tell them what to do. And also, most of the people I have seen protesting on the news and around here are actually quite well-off and I feel that they need to stop complaining. Jacob put it well when his friend shared this on his facebook wall. You have probably seen this image circulating the social networks.



Jacob: "While I agree with this to a degree, why is it that 150,000,000 Americans feel entitled when 5,700,000,000 human beings living in developing countries live on less than $6 a day. Just something for Americans to think about while driving their car to a protest, while listening to their ipods, while eating a grilled cheese and drinking a coke, having just left school. Be thankful peeps!"

So no, maybe lazy is not the right word. But entitled might be.

Disclaimer: I would like to say before anyone gets their panties all up in a wad, that I really do not know the whole of the reasons for this movement and I really don't know what is true and what isn't as far as government corruption and all that jazz. What I do know is that the things that I have seen and heard about this tell me that people are looking for someone to blame for their situation instead of doing something about it. I would like to be better educated about it and if someone has something to say to the contrary of this I am open to listening.

And those are my thoughts. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Veterans Day! I am thankful to live in this country, enjoying my freedoms thanks to the brave men and women who selflessly go forward to protect us. Shout out to my little brother Cory who just began his naval service in June. So proud!

5 tuppence:

Mal. said...

I think this whole thing is stupid. I believe that everyone feels entitled to too much these days. you have to work hard to make a good life for yourself. WORK. I do believe too many people are lazy. but thats just me! people need to stop protesting and start working.

Sarah said...

hear hear! totally agree.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I agree 100%. I could not have said it better myself. I get so annoyed every time I leave the house and I just see tents everywhere. Blah. I hope this ends soon.

Cameron said...

Nailed it like a split hog sis.